INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ASSOCIATION
What is it?
Movember (a portmanteau from the Australian-English diminutive word for "moustache", "mo", and "November") is an annual event involving the growing of moustaches during the month of November to raise awareness of men's health issues, such as prostate cancer and other male cancers, and associated charities. The Movember Foundation runs the Movember charity event, housed at Movember.com. The goal of Movember is to "change the face of men's health."
Every Movember, we challenge men to grow and women to support a moustache or make a commitment to get active and MOVE for 30 days. Men and women sign up at Movember.com and choose to Grow, Give, or MOVE.
Men start Movember 1st clean-shaven and grow only a moustache for the month. Men and women can commit to MOVE every day during Movember. After signing up, get friends, family, or colleagues to donate to your efforts and change the face of men’s health.
How do I get involved?
- Commit to MOVE and complete 30 days of physical activity
- Organize events such as Mo Parties
- Get friends and family to donate to change the face of men’s health
- Make a donation to a Mo Bro or fellow Mo Sista
- Purchase Movember merchandise and promo materials
- Encourage men to be proactive about their health
- Support and show love for the moustache
You can choose to host your own Movember event at your workplace, local pub or university. Promo materials are available for purchase through the Mo Gear section to ensure your party is a success.
For more information about how to get involved click here.
Where does the money go?
Funds raised through the Movember US campaign go towards supporting innovative world-class men’s health programs supporting our key issues – prostate cancer, testicular cancer, poor mental health and physical inactivity.
- Prostate cancer – We invest in research and health services that will result in new tests and treatments to better diagnose the disease and stop its progression.
- Testicular cancer – We invest in research that will result in a better understanding of the disease and why some men relapse and others do not.
- Poor mental health – We invest in programs to help men and boys stay mentally healthy. In the US, we invest in health services that will focus on community-level prevention programs to improve mental health.
- Physical inactivity – We are investing in projects that encourage men to be more physically active.
These programs are funded either directly by the Movember Foundation or through our men’s health partners.
- The Prostate Cancer Foundation (PCF) is the world's leading philanthropic organization funding and accelerating prostate cancer research.
- Prevention Institute is a national non-profit dedicated to improving community health and well-being by building momentum for effective primary prevention.
All funds distributed to our men's health partners are restricted to use in Movember Foundation approved programs only. This means that no funds are used to cover any of our partners' fundraising and promotional costs – 100% goes directly to delivering health initiatives.
For more detail on where the funds go click here.
Click on the "Join ISA MOVEMBER Team" link.
Follow our Movember Team on Facebook and Twitter.